Monday, April 13, 2009

You Spin Me Right Round

Not too long ago, on a Tuesday evening, if you walked into Yarn Cravin', you probably saw this going on. Spinners had taken over the library corner!

Becky was helping Alana and Annette with spinning using drop spindles. They were doing a great job learning how to make their own yarn, and caught on quickly. Check out Annette, in the photo below:

Drop spindles have been around for centuries. In the Middle Ages, children were given the job to spin yarn using drop spindles from a very early age. That sure didn't help the adults feel more competent the other night. Below is Alana winding off the single yarn so she can ply it together.

Becky also helped April with her new spinning wheel, andApril generously gave others the chance to use it. Here is Mary at the wheel, and Becky sorting out a problem.Alana made yarn! Way to go!

If you're coming to the Spring Retreat, there will be drop spindles for you to use and some spinning wheels as well. I know I'm bringing my wheel, and I don't mind sharing.

2 comments:

Dale Ann said...

Loves the spinning!

Apewad said...

In honor of our new found love for spinning...can we get Barb to do her own rendition of "You Spin Me Right Round" at the retreat?! I'll have my spinning wheel to help her keep the beat (and maybe spin some yarn too). ;) I can't wait!!!!